Monday, April 04, 2005

Pope To A Generation

We mourn the passing of Pope John Paul II. While I vaguely remember the near successive deaths of Pope Paul VI and John Paul I, it was Pope John Paul II who I remember, who most people of my generation remember.

People are out extolling the accomplishments of this pope and what we can expect in the future. I find it curious that the child abuse issue has not been raised. Perhaps this is out of respect.

I certainly haven't followed this issue closely, but do come across it in the news as stories break. But it seems there was a a concious effort to cover up what was going on instead of dealing with it head on. And this dealt with children, the most innocent among us. Frankly it is one of the main reasons I have drifted away from institutionalized faith.

Unless convinced otherwise, this taint on the Pope's reputation/legacy outweighs the other positive aspects of his tenure. Especially because this was a Pope who held him self out as a true friend of the youth of the world. If this is so, isn't there a sense of betrayal given what transpired during this sordid period in the Catholic church?

Perhaps I'm too harsh in my judgement. Like any large organization, maybe the Pope never really got involved in micro affairs, if you can call something that threatens to bankrupt some churches micro. Akin to what is happening in the current corporate scandals dealing with Enron, WorldCom and Tyco, maybe the highest up just didn't know what was going on.

But just like in those secular cases, I don't buy it. And given that, I hold this Pope accountable for his complicity in a despicable chapter in the churches history.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home